Important: Changes to our returns process during lockdown
Whilst our stores are temporarily closed across the UK, we’ve introduced a temporary process to help customers who want to return their order and cancel their connection. We’ve also extended the return period from 14 days to 28 days to make things easier, both for customers who want to cancel their order completely, and for those who want to change their device under our change of mind policy. These changes will remain in place until 28 February 2021, when we’ll revert back to our normal process if circumstances allow.
You can return your device to us if you’ve changed your mind within 14 days of receiving it (28 days during the Covid-19 lockdown), or if your device develops a fault within 30 days of receipt. You can choose to exchange it for another device or get a refund.
If your device is faulty and you’ve had it for more than 30 days, we can arrange to send it for repair. Find out more about fixing faults after 30 days
Before you return your device
Whether you’ve decided to exchange your device for a new one or get a refund, you’ll need to make sure you’ve completed all of the important steps below first:
- Back up everything you want to keep, like contacts and photos
- Turn off any passcodes that you’ve set. If your device is locked when you return it, we’ll have to charge you the full cost of your replacement and/or not process an exchange or refund
- Remove any security software that you’ve installed
- Double-check that you’re returning the correct device. If the unique IMEI doesn’t match the one we supplied, you may be charged the device’s full value
- You’ll need to return everything that was included with your device, including its original packaging and any accessories or bundles that came with it.
- Additional steps when returning Apple devices:
- Make sure ‘Find my iPhone’ is disabled. If you don’t, we won’t be able to process your exchange or refund. See the FAQs below for more information on how to do it
- If you bought an iPhone and Apple Watch together, and need to return your iPhone for any reason, you’ll need to return the Apple Watch too.
Exchange your device
Get a refund
If you’d like to keep your O2 connection and choose a different device, here’s what you need to know:
- You can only exchange your device once
- If you choose a replacement that differs in price to your original one, we’ll either refund the difference or ask you to pay the extra cost
- Take a look below for guidance on how to return your device
If you don’t want to exchange for another device, you can return you purchase and get a refund. Here’s some need-to-know info:
- If you’re a new customer returning your device for a refund, we’ll also cancel your airtime account
- If you’re an existing customer returning your device to cancel an upgrade, your airtime account will remain connected and we’ll return you to your previous tariff. If your previous tariff is no longer available, you’ll need to choose a new one.
- We’ll refund everything you paid upfront for the device. If your airtime account is being cancelled, we’ll also refund the cost of any unused airtime. You’ll need to pay any additional charges incurred on your bill
- Take a look below for guidance on how to return your device
How to return your device
- Before you send your device back to us, it’s important that you’ve followed all applicable steps in the ‘Before you return your device’ section above
- If you haven’t yet told us that you want to return or exchange your device, you’ll need to contact us. We’ll send labelled packaging for you to use
- Pack up your device securely and make sure the label’s clearly visible. Remember to return everything that came with your device, including its original packaging
- Drop off the package at your local Post Office. It won’t cost you anything to send, unless you choose a tracked delivery method
- Once we’ve received and checked the device, we’ll issue your refund or send your chosen replacement
- How do I know my order is faulty?
If you’re struggling with your device, try our online troubleshooter. It could be a simple fix. If it can’t solve your problem, the troubleshooter will tell you what to do next.
- How do I prepare my device for return?
- Turn off any passcodes
- Remove any security software or other protections that would prevent us from using it. If your device is locked when you return it we’ll have to charge you the full cost of your replacement and/or not process a refund.
- Include your proof of purchase.
- Include all of the original parts.
- Include all accessories, other bundled items or free gifts.
- Return in the original packaging, where possible.
- Postal returns – look for your free returns label included in your packaging (or we can send you a new one). Then attach the label to your packaged device. For extra safety, we suggest upgrading the pre-paid postage to Special Delivery with insurance (around £7). This is optional, of course.
- How do I turn Apple’s ‘Find My iPhone’ off?
You can do this on your phone or from a computer.
Apple has all the information you need. Follow their steps.
If your device is locked when you return it we’ll have to charge you the full cost of your replacement and/or not process a refund.
- What do I do if I purchased an iPhone and an Apple Watch from O2, both are within the 28-day return period, and I’ve changed my mind?
- If you‘ve bought an iPhone and Apple Watch on O2 within the last 28 days, then your Apple Watch and your iPhone accounts will be linked.
- If you bought your iPhone from a third party and you want to return it, make sure you return the iPhone before returning your Apple Watch to O2.
- If you‘ve bought an iPhone and Apple Watch (both within the 28-day returns period) from an O2 Store, please return both devices together.
- When returning an iPhone and Apple Watch (both within the 28-day returns period) from o2.co.uk or O2 over the phone, make sure you return both devices in the same package. When arranging the return, we’ll send you packaging big enough for both.
- Can I return my sim only contract?
If you’ve taken out a sim only contract in store, over the phone or online, you can change your mind within 14 days of receiving your order. If you do want to cancel your agreement, contact us to let us know and we’ll get it sorted. We won’t ask you to return your sim, all you need to do is cut the sim in half once it’s stopped working.
We’ll give you back all the payments you’ve made, apart from any buy-out fee from your previous contract or any express delivery charges. You also have to pay any usage charges you’ve had in that time.
- The small print
Anything you return or exchange must still be in brand new condition. For phones, tablets and Apple Watch this includes removing any security features that would prevent us from accessing it (like Apple’s Find My iPhone) and unlinking your device from certain accounts (like iCloud account, Apple Store or Google Play). If your product comes back damaged or used beyond what's reasonable, we may need to charge you.
You're allowed to do what's necessary to make sure that what you've received from us is what you thought you were buying, and that it all works as you expected. But no more than that. You'll be responsible for any damage and drop in value as a result of you opening, testing or playing with the product.
If you've used it more than was needed to check it, we'll have to deduct an amount from your reimbursement to cover the damage. You'll also be charged for any services you've used. So if you asked us to start providing you with calls, texts and data before the end of your 28-day cancellation period, or before the end of your 14-day cancellation period for sim only contracts, you'll pay for what you used. These charges will come after the cancellation has been completed.
We'll pay you back within 28 days of you returning the product or providing evidence that you tried to return it. If you cancel a credit agreement (like the Device Plan of an O2 Refresh contract) without returning all your equipment you'll have to pay for the goods in full, straightaway.
If you didn't buy your device directly from us, you’ll have to go to the seller.
Thank you for sending your feedback.