- We’re building a greener network and setting an ambitious goal to be the first UK mobile network to reach Net Zero carbon by 2025. Our Net Zero commitment is aligned to the Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTi) and supported by our expert partner, the Carbon Trust. Item by item our aim is to remove all possible non-renewable energy across our business and network.
- We will maintain the standards that made us the first mobile company in the world to achieve the Carbon Trust Triple Standard for carbon, water and waste in 2014.
- We use advanced automation or ‘turn-off’ technology on our 3G and 4G networks to drop carriers and capacity when demand is low and bring them back on as demand increases, saving energy in the process. This makes our network even more energy efficient and reliable for customers.
- We’ve created a Green Savings Calculator that helps businesses quantify the benefits of adopting long-term flexible working solutions, including reductions in costs, carbon emissions and time. Find out more by getting in touch with O2 Business.
- We have partnered with businesses, government and customers to build a lower carbon economy; providing the connectivity for smart meters up and down the UK and providing connectivity solutions to support the flexible working revolution.
- We’ve also been involved in a number of innovative digital trials, including connected cars with the Smart Mobility Living Lab; tackling transport and air pollution as part of the Adept Thames Valley trial; and connecting a ‘Smart Ambulance’ at Millbrook Proving Ground. The use cases paint an exciting picture of how connectivity can support smart homes and cities, next-generation factories, and greener ways of living.
- We have a responsibility to look beyond our own business operations. That’s why we’ve also committed to reducing carbon emissions by at least 30% across our whole supply chain by 2025, as part of our wider Telefonica Group commitment.
- We believe that connectivity has a major role to play in reducing carbon emissions and building a greener society. Through the enabling role of our mobile technology – including our products, solutions and campaigns, we’re committed to delivering environmental benefits for society that outweigh our own impacts.
- We’re encouraging all of our customers to take action to reduce their impact on the planet. From the smallest of everyday actions like introducing paper bags in our stores back in 2008 to paperless bills, refurbished devices and the Internet of Things connectivity, we’re on a journey to help everyone on the O2 network build a greener future.
- Launched in 2009, O2 Recycle is the longest-running UK mobile network operator recycling initiative. To date, the scheme has saved over 450 tonnes of mobile phone waste from going to landfill. Almost 95% of the phones that come into the Recycle scheme are re-furbished and re-used, extending the life of the devices and supporting the circular economy.