Returning your device
Help and support
Returning your device | Help & Support | O2
You can return your device or accessory to us if you’ve changed your mind, or if it develops a fault within 30 days. Depending on the reason for return, we can exchange or replace it, or give you a refund.
If your device or accessory is faulty and you’ve had it for more than 30 days, visit our Fixing a Fault page to find out what to do.
- If your accessory is faulty within 30 days of purchase, we can replace it like-for-like or you can ask for a refund
- If you change your mind, you can exchange your accessory or get a refund. For hygiene reasons, some accessories (like earphones) are exempt from our 14-day change of mind policy once they’ve been opened
- If you’re returning an accessory for any reason, you’ll need to return it exactly as you received it, in its original packaging and along with anything purchased at the same time as part of a promotion or bundle
- Skip to the ‘How to arrange a return’ section below for guidance on returning your accessory.
Before you return your device
Whether you’ve decided to exchange your device for a new one or get a refund, you’ll need to make sure you’ve completed all of the important steps below first:
- Back up everything you want to keep, like contacts and photos
- Turn off any passcodes that you’ve set. If your device is locked when you return it, we’ll have to charge you the full cost of your replacement and/or not process an exchange or refund
- Remove any security software that you’ve installed
- Double-check that you’re returning the correct device. If the unique IMEI doesn’t match the one we supplied, you may be charged the device’s full value
- You’ll need to return everything that was included with your device, including its original packaging and any accessories or bundles that came with it.
Additional steps when returning Apple devices:
- Make sure ‘Find my iPhone’ is disabled. If you don’t, we won’t be able to process your exchange or refund. See this guide on Apple's website for more information on how to disable it.
- If you bought an iPhone and Apple Watch together, and need to return your iPhone for any reason, you’ll need to return the Apple Watch too.
Exchange your device
Get a refund
If you’d like to keep your O2 connection and choose a different device, here’s what you need to know:
- If your device is faulty within 30 days: We can replace it with a like-for-like device.
- If you change your mind:
- You can only exchange your device once
- You can exchange your device for a different one within our 14-day Change-Your-Mind Period
- For new Pay Monthly customers, we’ll cancel the whole original transaction. You’ll need to complete a new purchase, including a new credit check where applicable
- For existing Pay Monthly customers, we’ll cancel your upgrade and process a new one. This usually doesn’t involve a credit check
- For Pay As You Go customers, we’ll refund the original sale and you can choose a new device to buy.
Take a look below for guidance on how to arrange a return.
- If you’re a new Pay Monthly customer returning your device, we’ll also cancel any Airtime Plan purchased with it
- If you’re an existing Pay Monthly customer returning your device to cancel an upgrade, your Airtime Plan will remain connected and we’ll return you to your previous tariff. If your previous tariff is no longer available, you’ll need to choose a new one
- We’ll refund any upfront device payments once your return is received and checked. If your airtime account is being cancelled, you’ll need to pay for your Airtime Plan until the cancellation, plus any additional charges incurred on your bill
- If you’re a Pay As You Go customer, we’ll refund the cost of the device. If you don’t want to keep your sim and number, we’ll also refund any unused credit.
Take a look below for guidance on how to return your device.
How to arrange a return
If you’re sending a faulty device or accessory for repair after 30 days, visit our repairs page to find out how.
- Before you send your device back to us, it’s important that you’ve followed all applicable steps in the ‘Before you return your device’ section above
- If you bought your device or accessory in an O2 store:
- You’ll need to return it to a store. Find your nearest O2 store
- If you purchased online or over the phone:
- Contact us to tell us that you’d like to return or exchange your device or accessory. We’ll send labelled packaging for you to use when returning it to us
- Pack up your device securely and make sure the label’s clearly visible. Remember to return everything that came with your device, including its original packaging
- Drop off the package at your local Post Office. It won’t cost you anything to send, unless you choose a tracked delivery method
- Once we’ve received and checked the device, we’ll issue your refund or send your chosen replacement
- How do I know my order is faulty?
If you’re struggling with your device, try our online troubleshooter. It could be a simple fix. If it can’t solve your problem, the troubleshooter will tell you what to do next.
- How do I prepare my device for return?
- Turn off any passcodes
- Remove any security software or other protections that would prevent us from using it. If your device is locked when you return it we’ll have to charge you the full cost of your replacement and/or not process a refund.
- Include your proof of purchase.
- Include all of the original parts.
- Include all accessories, other bundled items or free gifts.
- Return in the original packaging, where possible.
- Postal returns – look for your free returns label included in your packaging (or we can send you a new one). Then attach the label to your packaged device. For extra safety, we suggest upgrading the pre-paid postage to Special Delivery with insurance (around £7). This is optional, of course.
- How do I turn Apple’s ‘Find My iPhone’ off?
You can do this on your phone or from a computer.
Apple has all the information you need. Follow their steps.
If your device is locked when you return it we’ll have to charge you the full cost of your replacement and/or not process a refund.
- What do I do if I purchased an iPhone and an Apple Watch from O2, both are within the 14-day return period, and I’ve changed my mind?
- If you‘ve bought an iPhone and Apple Watch on O2 within the last 14 days, then your Apple Watch and your iPhone accounts will be linked.
- If you bought your iPhone from a third party and you want to return it, make sure you return the iPhone before returning your Apple Watch to O2.
- If you‘ve bought an iPhone and Apple Watch (both within the 14-day returns period) from an O2 Store, please return both devices together.
- When returning an iPhone and Apple Watch (both within the 14-day returns period) from o2.co.uk or O2 over the phone, make sure you return both devices in the same package. When arranging the return, we’ll send you packaging big enough for both.
- Can I return my sim only contract?
If you’ve taken out a sim only contract in store, over the phone or online, you can change your mind within 14 days of receiving your order. If you do want to cancel your agreement, contact us to let us know and we’ll get it sorted. We won’t ask you to return your sim, all you need to do is cut the sim in half once it’s stopped working.
We’ll give you back all the payments you’ve made, apart from any buy-out fee from your previous contract or any express delivery charges. You also have to pay any usage charges you’ve had in that time.
- The small print
Anything you return or exchange must still be in brand new condition. For phones, tablets and Apple Watch this includes removing any security features that would prevent us from accessing it (like Apple’s Find My iPhone) and unlinking your device from certain accounts (like iCloud account, Apple Store or Google Play). If your product comes back damaged or used beyond what's reasonable, we may need to charge you.
You're allowed to do what's necessary to make sure that what you've received from us is what you thought you were buying, and that it all works as you expected. But no more than that. You'll be responsible for any damage and drop in value as a result of you opening, testing or playing with the product.
If you've used it more than was needed to check it, we'll have to deduct an amount from your reimbursement to cover the damage. You'll also be charged for any services you've used. So if you asked us to start providing you with calls, texts and data before the end of your 28-day cancellation period, or before the end of your 14-day cancellation period for sim only contracts, you'll pay for what you used. These charges will come after the cancellation has been completed.
We'll pay you back within 28 days of you returning the product or providing evidence that you tried to return it. If you cancel a credit agreement (like the Device Plan of an O2 Refresh contract) without returning all your equipment you'll have to pay for the goods in full, straightaway.
If you didn't buy your device directly from us, you’ll have to go to the seller.