Requesting your personal data from O2
Help and support
Requesting your personal data from O2 | Help & Support | O2
Following Government and NHS advice, our teams are currently working at a reduced capacity. This means we’re unable to process Subject Access Requests as quickly as we’d like.
We also won’t be able to receive or respond to requests by post for the time being, so please submit your request by email.
We’ll be back up and running as normal at the earliest opportunity, but in the meantime there’s likely to be a delay in completing your request.
We’re sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you, and we’re grateful for your patience in these unusual circumstances.
Exercising your data rights
For information on Virgin Media products and services and how to get in touch with Virgin Media to exercise your data rights with them, please visit: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/privacy-policy
Your data-related rights
You have additional rights to put you in control of your personal data. To exercise these rights you, or someone else if they can prove they have your permission, can make a Data Rights request. With some exceptions and limitations, you can make the following Data Rights requests:
- Right to Access
- Get a copy of your personal data, if we have it.
- Right to Rectification
- Correct inaccurate personal data.
- Right to Erasure
- Erase data we no longer need for any purpose.
- Right to Data Portability
- Ask for a copy of personal data you provided to us.
- Right to Object
- Object to marketing from O2
- Object to O2 processing your data in certain circumstances
Exercising your Right to Access (sometimes called a ‘Subject Access Request’ or SAR) 2
- To make an SAR, send an email to SubjectAccess2@o2.com or write to: Subject Access, O2 Partnership, Chester Road, Preston Brook, Runcorn, WA7 3QA. You’ll need to include some proof of identification. Take a look at the Pay Monthly and Pay As You Go sections below to find out what you’ll need to provide. If you want to speed up the process, you can also fill out our Subject Access Request form and include it with your email or letter.
- We'll provide the information you’ve asked for within 30 calendar days of receiving your SAR, as long as we can see that you’re entitled to it. If your request is complex, it could take us a further two months to process and depending on its nature, and if your request is excessive you may have to pay an administrative fee to cover the costs of providing an excessive amount of data.
Exercising your other Data Rights
You can email us. You’ll need to include some proof of identification. Take a look at the Pay Monthly and Pay As You Go sections below to find out what you’ll need to provide. To speed up the process, you can also fill out our Data Rights Request form. Email your Data Rights request to email@example.com or, if you prefer, you can write to us at: Telefónica UK Limited, Correspondence Department, PO BOX 694, Winchester, SO23 5AP. Don’t forget to include your form, if you choose to fill one out.
You may find that you can get a lot of the information you want or exercise some rights yourself by logging into My O2. There you’ll find your account details, billing information and check or update your marketing preferences.
What ID to provide
- Pay Monthly customers
To make a Subject Access Request or Data Rights request, you'll need to provide ID confirming your name and address. This could be your driving licence, a utility or Council Tax bill or a bank statement. If you’d like copies of your bills, you can access them online at My O2, or you can request them through our customer service team.
- Pay As You Go customers
To make a Subject Access Request or Data Rights request you'll need to provide ID confirming your name and address. This could be your driving licence, a utility or Council Tax bill or a bank statement.
You must also prove you're the owner of the mobile number, by providing one of the following:
- Sim purchase receipt - this must show the mobile number. We can't accept handwritten receipts.
- Phone purchase receipt - this must show the IMEI number. We can't accept handwritten receipts.
- Photocopy of the credit/debit card used to top up. This should show your name and the last 4 digits of the card number.
- Top-up card
- Historic top-up receipts
Send your completed form, the fee and proof of identity and ownership to:
Subject Access Team
The more specific you are and the more information you provide, the quicker we'll be able to respond.
We'll respond to your request within 40 calendar days of verifying your details.
- O2 is not obliged to comply with a SAR from an individual if the request is similar or identical to one that we’ve already complied with in relation to that individual. This exception will not apply if a reasonable interval has elapsed between the two requests and further information has been processed since the first request.
- We may also refuse to comply with a SAR or another Data Rights request (wholly or partly) if it is manifestly unfounded, manifestly excessive or an exemption applies. If this arises, we will let you know
- Your rights to have your data erased, rectified or to object to processing are not absolute (unless the objection is in relation to marketing you receive from us). If your request falls within one of the exceptions, we will let you know when we respond to your request.
- O2 also reserves its rights to rely on other legal exceptions or exemptions.
Applying on behalf of someone else
If you’re making a request on someone else’s behalf, you’ll need proof that you have their permission and give us their address and contact details as well as your own. If you’re a solicitor making the request on behalf of a client, you must supply a typed and signed authority from your client on headed paper, including your client's name, full address, mobile number and the date range you want us to cover.
Court Orders and Disclosures
If you are a solicitor requesting a statement with your client’s data, you must supply a typed and signed authority by the applicant on headed paper, including your client's name, full address, mobile number and the date range you want us to cover. Send it to: Court Disclosure, Telefonica UK Ltd, 260 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 4DX, or email it to CourtDisclosure@o2.com.
If your client is a Pay As You Go customer and can’t provide sufficient proof of ownership, we won’t be able to proceed without a Court Order.
Any Court Order must be stamped and signed by the courts, served on O2 and include the mobile number, date range and detailed disclosure type in question.
Without meeting all of these criteria we can’t disclose data and the order will have to be amended. Please let us know where you’d like the data to be sent, or it will go straight to the court.
Frequently Requested Information
- Copies of contracts
We can’t supply you with a signed copy of your phone contract. You’ll find details of your contract terms in our Terms and conditions.
- Calls or texts made from your mobile number
We can give you the date and time of any calls and texts you’ve sent in the last 12 months. We can also give you the phone numbers you’ve called or texted, but we’re not able to give you the dates, times or numbers that have called you. You can find much of this information yourself by logging into My O2 and checking your bill details.
- Recordings of calls you’ve made to or received from O2
When you call us, we sometimes record calls for quality and monitoring purposes. We can’t guarantee that all calls you made to us are recorded, but any we do record are only kept for six months and can only be provided in audio format.
- Information that we can’t provide
We can only provide information considered to be your personal data under an SAR. We won't be able to provide:
- Phone numbers that have called or texted you (these are only available on production of a valid Court Order or a lawful request from regulatory or enforcement bodies). You may, however, find that some of this information has already been stored on your phone;
- The content of text messages or personal phone calls
- Phone numbers, photos, video clips or text messages stored on your phone.
- Requesting your personal data for O2 Travel Insurance
We no longer sell O2 Travel Insurance. If you have an existing policy please contact: Mondial Assistance UK Ltd.
O2 Quality Standards
102 George Street