Age restricted content and age verification
To help keep kids safe online, we filter and block 18+ sites, as classified by the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification).
What does this mean for you?
If you try to go to sites that are 18+, we’ll check you’re over 18. You might get a ‘Timed out’ or ‘No Response’ message if it’s a secure site (HTTPS).
How do I prove I’m over 18?
There are two ways you can do this. Once you do, we’ll take off the filters and won’t ask again.
- Go to one of our shops with photo ID (passport or driving licence).
- Prove you have a credit card. We'll charge £1 to the card, which we'll then refund, either through your bill or with calling credit.
You can prove you have a credit card by:
- Calling 61018, free from your O2 mobile
- Going to https://ageverification.o2.co.uk/
- Calling customer services on 202, free from your O2 mobile
Find out more about age verification through our blog on The Blue.
Where can I find out more about online safety for kids?
- See the articles on our NSPCC page
- Pop into your local O2 store and chat to an O2 Guru
- Call our free online safety helpline on 0808 8005002
You can also set up the Parental Control service, which makes sure your children can only go to sites that are suitable for them. Go to parentalcontrol.o2.co.uk to set it up.
Sometimes we might block a site by mistake, or we might miss an adult site. If this happens, call customer services on 202 to let us know.
And some sites, which host illegal content, are automatically blocked to everyone. We can’t unblock those.
If you're not sure about any techy terms, check out our jargon buster
Thank you for sending your feedback.