O2 Customers can enjoy access to wifi on the Underground with Wifi Extra.
Wifi Extra is available in ticket halls, walkways, on escalators and platforms at over 250 Tube stations – that’s over 95% of the London Underground network.
Most current phones with an O2 sim will connect automatically. You just need to make sure your software is up to date, your wifi is switched on, and that (if you’re on Pay As You Go) you’ve topped up in the last 30 days. And you’re good to go.
If your phone doesn’t connect to Wifi Extra, you can still use Virgin Media Wifi by connecting and following the on screen steps.
- To connect
If your device hasn’t connected automatically or you want it to connect more quickly, you can try and connect manually.
Go to Settings – Wi-Fi – and tap on ‘Wifi Extra’.
Go to Settings – Connections – Wi-Fi – and tap on ‘Wifi Extra’.
This may vary slightly depending on the device you’re using.
If you’re device still isn’t connecting to Wifi Extra, it may be incompatible. Don’t worry though, you can still connect using the ‘Virgin Media Wifi’ network.
- If you can't connect to Wifi Extra
If your device can’t connect to Wifi Extra, you can use Virgin Media Wifi instead.
- In your device wifi settings, choose ‘Virgin Media Wifi’.
- Select O2 from the pop up.
- Enter your O2 mobile number.
- You’ll see an O2 splash page – this means you’re connected.
After you’ve connected to Virgin Media Wifi once, your device will automatically connect in future.
- If you can't connect to Virgin Media Wifi
When you try and connect to Virgin Media Wifi for the first time, you might get a message saying you must be registered for O2 Wifi above ground, before you can connect. If this happens, follow the steps below.
Whilst above ground, visit one of the thousands of O2 Wifi hotspots around the country. They can be found in O2 Stores, McDonalds, Costa coffee and many more places. Find your nearest hotspot
To connect to the hotspot:
- In your device wifi settings, select ‘O2 Wifi’.
- Open up your web browser, such as Safari or Chrome
- Follow the onscreen steps to register for O2 Wifi.
- Once you see the welcome page, you’re connected.
After you’ve connected to O2 Wifi, you’ll be able to use Virgin Media Wifi on the Underground in 24 hours.