How to keep your mobile number
Here's a quick guide to joining O2 and keeping your current mobile number.
Switching from another network to O2
We won't charge you to keep your number when you switch to O2. Just request a PAC (Porting Authorisation Code) from your current network. A PAC tells us that you've been given permission to transfer the number to us, the code will contain 3 letters and 6 numbers. We need your PAC before we can transfer your number so you'll save time if you contact your service provider first. PACs are only valid for 30 days.
Once you've given us your PAC:
- Note down any important numbers or calendar reminders on your old sim card or mobile, as these won't be transferred. If there's any text or picture messages you'd like to keep, forward them to the temporary mobile number attached to your new sim.
- Fill out the Keep my number form. You'll need the following info:
- The mobile number you want to keep
- The temporary mobile number attached to your new O2 sim - you'll find this on the confirmation letter if you ordered online, or on the sim pack or contract if you bought in-store
- Your sim card number
- Once you've completed the form, you'll get a confirmation email and text.
- On the transfer day, we'll send you another text to keep you up to date.
- After this, you'll lose service on your existing mobile number and your O2 sim card. This is perfectly normal, so don't worry.
- When you've lost service, make sure you have your new O2 sim in your phone. Switch it off and on every couple of hours until you get an O2 signal. If this doesn't appear, get in touch and we'll sort it out for you.
Please note: Your existing contract should never be cancelled before the mobile number transfer is complete. If this happens, get in touch with your current network straight away. If you change your mind about transferring your number, contact us and we'll be happy to help.
Switching from O2 Pay & Go to O2 Pay Monthly
When you move your number from O2 Pay & Go to O2 Pay Monthly, we'll transfer your credit balance (up to £350), plus any loyalty bonus (up to £550). Follow these steps to make the switch:
- Fill out the Keep my number form
- We'll transfer your number and your balance (up to £350) within 24 hours.
- On the transfer day, we'll send you a notification text. You'll then lose service on your new O2 sim card and your existing mobile number.
- When you've lost service, make sure you have your new O2 Pay Monthly sim in your phone. Switch it off and on every couple of hours until you get an O2 signal
- We'll transfer your loyalty bonus (up to £550). It takes a little while to work out, so we'll credit it to your fourth bill.
Switching from O2 Pay Monthly to O2 Pay & Go
Switching from a personal account to a business account
- Choose your tariff
- Fill out the transfer of ownership form
- Scan the completed form and email it to BusinessTOO@o2.com (maximum file size is 10MB), or fax it to 0870 600 2402.
If you want to transfer your number from one business name to a different name, then you'll also need to fill out the transfer of ownership form.