Age restricted content and age verification
Age restricted content
To protect children, young people and vulnerable people, we block access to 18+ content which is classified by the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification), in accordance with the OFCOM code of practise and UK and EU regulation.
If a site has been rated 18+ you won't be able to access it without giving us proof of age.
Sites are normally considered 18+ because they contain content such as pornography or violence, or relate to illegal activity such as hacking, phishing, hate and drugs.
Sometimes we might block a site by mistake – if you think we've blocked something unnecessarily, or we've missed an inappropriate website, you can ask us to review the website by getting in touch with customer services.
Proving your age
To prove your age, you'll need to either:
- Visit one of our shops with official photo ID, like your passport or driving licence
- Give us your credit card details. We'll charge £1 to the card, which we'll refund either through your bill or with calling credit. This will show up on your statement – so if someone borrows your card without permission, you'll know about it
You can give us your credit card details by:
- Calling 61018 from your mobile
- Online at https://ageverification.o2.co.uk/
- Contacting customer services
Once you've given us proof of your age, we'll remove the restrictions and won't ask again.
More help and information
To check your child's phone is set at the right age level, call the age verification line on 61018, or go to ageverification.o2.co.uk.
Please note: Sites that host illegal content are automatically blocked to everyone, and can't be unblocked.