Travelling in Europe
No need to switch off data roaming. We now cover roaming in our Europe Zone as part of our eligible tariffs. Your minutes, texts and data allowances will work in our Europe Zone, just like they do at home.
Roaming in our Europe Zone
- How does it work?
You'll be able to make and receive calls and send and receive texts within our Europe Zone, and use your data like you'd normally do in the UK. You don’t need to opt in – it’ll be added to your account automatically, as long as you’re on an eligible tariff. Find out more
- Am I eligible?
If you’re eligible for roaming in our Europe Zone at no extra cost, we’ll have got in touch either by text or through your account manager. If you haven’t heard from us you might be on a tariff tailored to your company, so your charges and allowances will stay the same as they are now.
- How do I get it?
If you’re on a standard tariff, you don’t have to do anything. If you’re on a tailored tariff, you might be able to get your package changed. Ask us for more information. Bear in mind that other features or benefits you have might be lost or adjusted if you change your tailored tariff.
- What's included?
- Calls and texts from any country in our Europe Zone to another country in our Europe Zone.
- Calling another O2 number in the UK (eligible tariff required). If you have an O2 to O2 Bolt On, any calls made in the Europe Zone will come out of your tariff allowances and not your Bolt On.
- Pop Up office if you are on an eligible tariff (tailored tariffs are not eligible).
- What’s not included?
- Calls from the UK to any country, including those within our Europe Zone.
- Making calls or sending texts to premium rate numbers and other non geographical numbers.
- Making calls or sending texts from within the Europe Zone to any country outside the Europe Zone (excluding UK).
- Do I need to leave data roaming switched on in my phone’s settings?
Yes, if you want to use your data outside of the UK. If you have an Android device you’ll also need to check it’s set to international and not just national roaming. We’ll text you when you arrive in your Europe Zone destination to let you know you can use your UK allowances.
- What about O2 Travel?
If you’re eligible for Europe Zone roaming at no extra cost, you won’t need O2 Travel.
- If I’m travelling and I trigger O2 Travel in the early hours of 15 June, will I be charged?
You shouldn’t be charged. But if you do see a charge on your bill, it’ll be reimbursed.
- What will I see on my bill?
You’ll see a line on your bill that says:
- Europe Zone Roaming included - £0.00
- What about the Rest of World 24 Hour Pass?
We’re not making any changes to the Rest of World 24 Hour Pass. It’ll still work as it did before.
- What about the Rest of World 30 Day Pass?
We’re not making any changes to the Rest of World 30 Day Pass. It’ll still work as it did before.
- I had a bundle of data to use in the EU. What happens to that?
If you’re on an eligible tariff you can now use your UK allowance in our Europe Zone. So you won’t need separate allowances for home and for Europe.
- Which countries are included?
48 destinations are included in our Europe Zone: Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion, Romania, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Martin, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Vatican City.
- Will Brexit have any impact on this?
We’ll continue to update you when we have more information.
- Can I cap my employees’ usage in the Europe Zone?
Any caps that you or your employees had in place prior to 15 June 2017 for the UK will apply in our Europe Zone.
- How much do data Bolt Ons cost?
The costs and options for Bolt Ons are the same as in the UK. Find out more.
- Can I ring directory enquiries numbers when I’m in Europe?
In our Europe Zone, the costs to call directory enquiries are:
- DQ 118402 for BUSINESS 83.3ppm with 83.3p minimum charge
- DQI 118505 for BUSINESS 452.8p connection charge, 112.5ppm for the first minute, 149.5ppm after that
- When is 4G roaming coming?
We’re testing 4G roaming with O2 Germany and Czech Republic. We’re expecting full coverage by summer 2017. Spain, France and 18 other key destinations should be covered in the next two to three months, followed by a full roll out across our Europe Zone.
- What happens when I hit my data limit?
You’ll have the same experience as when you use up your data allowance in the UK.
- How will minute rounding work?
Call charges within our Europe Zone will be charged on a per second basis, like they are in the UK. Calls to countries outside of our Europe Zone will stay the same as before.
If you’re on a tariff that’s tailored to your business, you’ll continue with the deal you agreed on originally. So your tariff might include O2 Travel.
- What's O2 Travel and how does it work?
With O2 Travel you’ll pay just £1.66 (ex VAT) for each day you make calls, send texts and use data in Europe. Your daily charge of £1.66 applies from midnight to midnight UK time.
For data there's no upper usage limit, but traffic management steps apply after you use 50MB of data.
For calls and texts, you can continue to join those conference calls and text your team, but there is a fair usage policy of 200 minutes and 200 texts a day.
- What triggers a £1.66 (ex VAT) charge on O2 Travel?
The £1.66 charge will be triggered automatically when you make a call to other O2 Travel destinations including the UK, or when you send a text or use data.
- How can I get O2 Travel?
Now that we offer roaming in our Europe Zone at no extra cost, you won’t be able to opt in to O2 Travel. You’ll only be able to get it if it was part of your original tailored tariff. Find out more about roaming in our Europe Zone.
- What happens when I reach 50MB of data?
We'll send you an alert when you’ve used 50MB of data in a day:
‘Just to let you know you’ve used 50MB from your O2 Travel daily allowance. You can still use O2 Travel, including your inclusive texts and calls, but data speeds might be a bit slow until you get your new allowance at midnight UK time.
If you want to keep using data at the same speed, text MOREDATA to 23336. This will reset your daily allowance and you'll be charged another £1.66 ex VAT, which lasts until midnight that day (UK time)’.
- What will I see on my bill?
Charges will show up as O2 Travel on your bill.
- Where is O2 Travel available?
O2 Travel is available in most European and related destinations:
- Czech Republic
- French Guiana
- Isle of Man
- Italy (including Vatican City State)
- La Reunion
- What’s not included in the O2 Travel daily charge?
Your daily rate of £1.66 for O2 Travel excludes calls to countries outside of the selected O2 Travel destinations or the UK, premium charged texts received and picture or video messages.
- How do I opt out?
To opt out of O2 Travel, call us on 8002.
- What happens if I exceed the minute and text fair usage policy?
A daily charge of £1.66 will be applied automatically on the days that you use data, make calls or send texts in selected destinations. This single daily charge is subject to a fair usage policy (FUP) of 200 outbound texts per day and 200 outbound minutes per day within Europe and back to the UK only. We’ll send you a text message notifying you if you have exceeded the FUP. If you exceed the FUP on more than one occasion in a 12 month rolling period, we’ll automatically transfer you to standard EU roaming rates.
Rest of the World pass
- About Rest of the World pass
If you’re travelling outside of Europe, you can stay connected with a Rest of World Pass. The one that's best for your next trip will depend on how you want to use the internet while you're away. Find out more.
Standard roaming rates in Europe (incl. data user caps)
Selected tariffs now include minutes and texts which can be used while roaming in selected EU countries
- EU countries in which inclusive minutes can be used for roamed voice and text
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion Island, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland & Vatican City (Via Italy)
- EU countries in which inclusive minutes can be used for data
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Martinique, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland & Vatican City (Via Italy) (Excludes Mayotte & Reunion Island)
Can't find what you're looking for?
Give us a moment
We're just checking to see if there's an available agent.